15 Secrets That Will Make You a Cosmetics Expert
We use cosmetic products daily for a lot of reasons, to care for our skin, hair, or put on makeup... But it turns out, not a lot of people know how to use it, or correctly anyway. We kind of figured that out and so we gathered the best advice, secrets, tips, and tricks. All you need to do is read below to become your own expert on beauty products.
What extra cosmetic product gives you a spotless manicure?
To get to a level where you can have the best-manicured hands, almost on a salon level, you need to know their secrets, and we have one of them for you right here!
- Apply a little petroleum jelly around your nails and on your skin before you apply your nail polish.
- Wait for your manicure to dry
- Wash your hands - any polish on the petroleum jelly will come off immediately, leading to perfectly manicured hands.
Which foundation to pick for a more natural look?
There are a lot of cosmetics that lead to an uneven, slightly unnatural look out there, so when you pick your foundation, make sure to choose it carefully, it is the base of the whole look and will either raise it or take it down!
First, you need to determine what kind of coverage you want to get: so whether that is light, medium, or full. Then decide on the finish: matte, natural, or dew. Based on your skin type, for more information on picking the right foundation, you can see our article on foundation textures.
How do I choose blushers?
Understanding the type of blush you need can help you achieve perfect results for your face makeup. So to start from the basics, there are 3 types of blush:
And here is which is perfect for which skin types
- For Oily skin: Sticks work well with it, balancing with the secreted oil on your face.
- For Normal or combination skin: Creamy formulas are excellent, they are easily distributed, and neither need dry skin or natural oils to stay.
- For dry skin: A powder formula of blushers works well with dry skin, so if that is your skin type, make sure to try some powder blushers next time you buy one.
Resist aging symptoms with the right application
Your neck ages as fast as your face, but some people apparently forget that and so when they apply an anti-aging cosmetic product and/or sunscreen, a lot of people stop at the jawbone, which is a big mistake if you ask us.
Another trick? Don't neglect the ears and back neck, which suffer so much damage from UV rays, give your body a little love, and it will give you back much more in return.
Red Lipstick? Don’t pick randomly
Energetic, strong, loving, daring... all of these meanings come to mind when you see a woman wearing the color red… and red is the queen of lipstick colors.
- Avoid deep reds if you have thin lips.
- Try intense shades if you have a strong natural coloring, for example, white skin, dark hair, and blue eyes.
- Avoid putting lipstick on your teeth, or you may scare someone away, it’s not Halloween.
Cosmetic formulas can be a lot, know them here!
The basic categories for cosmetic formulas include:
Next time you hear one of these formulas, you won’t hesitate to know which one they’re speaking of, you’ll also know it’s cosmetics!
Never rub beauty products on your skin
The friction can easily irritate your skin. “Always apply cosmetics to the face and neck with light upward movements,” says Dr. Sejal Shah, a dermatological surgeon in New York.
Quick to-go makeup? We got you
What can I do that would make the biggest difference?
A little concealer under the eyes is the easiest way to look more awake and brighter. Sunglasses and vibrant lips always do the trick.
Hey! I know the difference between natural and organic cosmetics!
- Natural skincare products have natural ingredients.
- Organic care products are subject to more stringent standards.
- The term "natural" may just be a marketing trick.
- Natural skincare products do not follow the same guidelines as organic products.
- Look for organic logos on organic products.
- The terms "vegan" and "cruelty-free" are not synonymous with "natural" or "organic".
- The prices of organic care products will be higher.
Eyebags? Not a problem.
If eye bags are one of your problems, you are in the right place… The solution is to get a concealer that's a shade lighter than your skin tone and apply it under your eyes.
But here is the trick: Apply the concealer in a triangle shape from the inner corner of the eye outwards and then on the wings of the nose. Shade the contours. This is how the swollen area will look evenly highlighted and will not attract attention to its size.
Put on too much mascara… why?
Using mascara to touch up those lower lashes and accentuate the edge of the eyes can give your look extra expressiveness.
However, there is another reason why you should be putting too much mascara on your lashes. WRINKLES! Having too much mascara will distract everyone from the wrinkles around your eyes.
Where to put blush?
Be sure to apply the blush on the upper part of your cheeks, not the middle part.
Highlighting your cheekbones might have been a good idea when you were younger, but - as we become more mature, we have to adapt to the changes in our skin.
If you are younger, then feel free to accentuate your cheekbones!
Apply your make-up in natural light
Try to apply makeup in daylight as much as possible. Makeup looks different under different artificial lights. It is only in natural light that you can really see what it is going to look like to other people.
Add focus to your eyes!
To give your eyes a little more focus, apply nude lipstick!
If you want to highlight your eyes, then don't use glossy lipstick. A light lip gloss or a nude lipstick will be the ideal solution.
Little attention on your lips will shift the attention to your eyes, giving it a brighter look.
If you are looking for inspiration for easy makeup, check out our picks of the best makeup products that are trending this year.